Wednesday, 16 July 2008

Working Mum's Guide to Housework

Cecily R at My Chaos My Bliss, (yes, her of Photostory Friday fame) asked for advice about a cleaning schedule. This made me think about how I cope (or don't) with cleaning my "overly large wreck of a house".

BC I had a small, beautifully decorated, neat, tidy home that could be cleaned within 2 hours every Saturday after going to the gym. Ah, those halcyon days!

AC I live in "overly large wreck of a house" that we are "doing up". It would take a week to clean it and I have a four year old begging for attention every two minutes. Due to collossal mortgage I can't afford to pay anyone to clean it for me so............

....................Working Mum's Guide to Housework was born:

Firstly, invest in one of these:
Really does make vacuuming easier and no bags to deal with! Thank you, Sir James Dyson, you deserve that knighthood.

Then, make cleaning manageable: clean lounge one week, dining room next, bedrooms next on a three week rota. Convince daughter it is a game, give her a duster and one of these:

Some things have to be reactionary: clean kitchen when floor is sticky, clean bathroom when guests coming, defrost freezer when door won't shut, clean out fish tank when can't see fish.

Laundry not really a problem with automatic washing machine and tumble drier, but ironing needs careful consideration. Work suits go to dry cleaners so no ironing there. Choose work blouses in crinkly fabrics that don't need ironing. Pile daughter's clothes up so that the ones at the bottom are crushed into submission and don't need ironing. And.........................this is the crunch ........................ make husband iron his own shirts!!! True. I kid you not.

Thank you, mum, for the advice you gave me when I got married, "Start as you mean to go on". I have never ironed husband's shirts from day one, so he has had to do it himself. He also has a system; he has 15 shirts so he only has to iron once every three weeks!

Finally, if there isn't time to do any of the above, open one of these:



and soon you won't notice the mess!

Voila!


10 comments:

gigi said...

I wish I was better at it. I guess myguied would be to do what screamed out at me first. You are so good at so many things. Talented lady.

auntiegwen said...

I told the Eldest Beautiful Daughter that as she had a full month off after her GCSE's and I was still at school she could take over the chores. I do everybloodything in my house, the kids, nada.

In a month, she used the dyson once, refused to clean toilets and wiped over the kitchen worktops twice and then refused to do any more as her siblings just messed things up !

Welcome to my world ...

A Confused Take That Fan said...

Ha ha. Brilliant. Like the last tip the best. I am sat writing this in a house that social services would probably deem unlivable. The hoover is out (but not on) the cif is on the side with a cloth, but again, not moving by itself. I am awaiting a magic fairy...

Casdok said...

Love your last bit of advice!!

Nunhead Mum of One said...

Excellent advise within this post! Especially the last bit.... :-)

I quite enjoy housework (and no, that wasn't an offer!!) but do find it does go on and on a bit. so yes, clean bathroom and hoover upstairs when have visitors, wash floor if you drop something on it, dust furniture if you can see fingerprints in it, wash dogs blankets BEFORE they walk into the washing machine all on their own.

But don't do as my old boss did: do the housework naked because it's "too hot for clothes", fill three black sacks with rubbish and take them outside to the bin whilst still in the altogether AND HAVE THE DOOR SHUT ON YOU.

Nicol said...

That is great! I truly believe that all of us have different cleaning styles and you must do what works for you!

Suburbia said...

Sounds just like my life!! Husband does his shirts to but I get a bit 'miffed' if he doesn't do a bit of the childrens stuff too, I mean, they are his kids!!

Sometimes when I get bogged down by all the stuff that needs to be done just to keep the whole household going I try to remember what my granny said before she died. She told me she had spent too much time (in her life) doing housework! And it's true, sometimes you think... 'what is the point?!'

cheshire wife said...

Housework did not seem to be so much of a chore when we were living with the previous owners old carpets and tatty curtains. Now I notice every speck of dust.If I cleaned the whole house every week I would never get anything else done. So I do the upstairs one week and the downstairs the next week.

Sass E-mum said...

I'm completely smitten with my cleaning and ironing lady, it'd be a hell of a shock to do without her, though I suppose it wouldn't take long to get used to creased clothes. I'd revert to the fold 'em neat, stack 'em up solution. Like you, I do NOT iron Recaro's shirts.

Gary said...

I love that last bit of advice! Priceless.