Sunday, 20 July 2008

Sofa so good!

I've been knee deep in scraps of old wallpaper for the past few days, I know the council workers at the tip by their first names and the lady on the till in B&Q thinks I deserve a discount. Yes, we are continuing with our summer project of "doing up the lounge".

I've chosen the fireplace and I've got 20 different tester pots to choose the paint (I'm favouring Dulux Redcurrant Glory). I'm sure I can find carpet and curtains, but I have one problem - sofas.

Our old ones have lasted 14 years and served us well, but they are now serving others in a homeless shelter. So, I have embarked on the search for new sofas: DFS, SCS, CSL, Harvey's, Furniture Village, Cousins, John Lewis, Next, MultiYork you name it I've been there. I've looked at hundreds of sofas and cannot find anything that fits the bill. I am known for my inability to find just the right thing (I'm discerning!) and for spending months looking for it.

I need to make a decision.

I think I've narrowed it down to either this one:Cadogan

or this one:



Gracie

Look similar? To most people, yes, but to Working Mum, oh so different. Look at the feet, the arms, the cushions. Also, one is half the price of the other, which also means half the quality. They are equally comfy and come in a range of fabrics and sizes. I'm going to have to live with them for another 14 years, so it is a big decision.

So, which is it to be? Cadogan or Gracie?

17 comments:

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

my vote goes to gracie,
l like the legs at an angle

the colourway almost the reverse almost of cadogan
l dont like satiny cushions you slide everywhere..

l think gracie will be more ocnfortable and l like her name too...


xx

Sally's Chateau said...

Either one and I'm going to have deep sofa envy.

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

an award..whats that for then?

sounds very interesting?


thank you? l think...

sara x

scrappysue said...

gracie for me. congrats on the awards!

Suburbia said...

Now don't start me!!
What period is your house? Is Cadogan black and Gracie more brownish? Because if redcurrant is really redcurrant and your house is older then I'd go for Cadogan! However I don't have to live with it for the next 14 years! (did used to be an interior designer though, BC!)

gigi said...

Dulux Redcurrant Glory sounds so yummy!
And I like the looks of Gracie too! Decisions, decisions! What fun!

Claire Sutton said...

My vote is for Cadogan, looks more classy to me than Gracie. Maybe it's the satin cushions in the middle of Cadogan.

Working mum said...

Ooo Suburbia, an interior designer, give me the benefit of your experience! The house is a 1950's detached,pretty boring with no real features, just boxes for rooms. I've been working my way through having each room replastered so it is a blank canvas. I've decorated in a kind of modern, classic style (if that makes sense). You know, oak and granite kitchen, white bathrooms, plain walls with classic furniture. No wacky, modern stuff, but no antiques. In the lounge one wall will be red and the rest pale beige, I think I'll get the sofas in a lighter coloured fabric than the pictures so don't let the colours put you off, it's the style I need. Is Cadogan too "antiquey" with the rope ties?

Claire, I can buy satin cushions from John Lewis, look at the sofas!

MamaGeek said...

They are both lovely, really lovely, but I vote Gracie!

Millennium Housewife said...

The most expensive! I don't know why but you'll get more enjoyment from it, be more careful with it and it'll last longer. Crikey I've turned into my grandma....(except she'd say the cheapest, for all the same reasons) MH

jakelliesmom said...

Since you've asked, I'm drawn to the Cadogan.

Nunhead Mum of One said...

Definitely Gracie for me......it's lighter looking just....bouffier!

ChickPea said...

Dulux Redcurrant Glory looks great on our wall (tho you'd not want too much of it unless you have a very big/very light room).

We got our sofas from M&S after much searching and thinking we'd have to compromise on seriously unimportant things like appropriate back support and comfortableness.....

Best wishes !

Claire Sutton said...

Nah I'm still going for Cadogan!

cheshire wife said...

I don't envy you. I can't decide. What we have came with my husband when we got married.

Suburbia said...

Yep, rope could be too antiquey for 1950's! The other one which looks more boxy would probably be better!
All sounds lovely, I hope there will be a photo when it's all finished?

Milla said...

Cadogan for me. Although it may be an angle thing. ONly you can tell if the ropes are really nasty since we can't see 'em. Think the darker colour LOOKS more expensive - which is the more exp?? I think we should be told.