Sunday, 27 July 2008

On being a SAHM

Since finishing school for the Summer I have had the dubious pleasure of being a Stay At Home Mum. Daughter attends nursery in the afternoons at the local primary school so I was able to be a proper mum for a week or so until she broke up for Summer. I threw myself into the role with my usual gusto, relishing the thought of Sports Day, a Pirate Party and the Leavers' Assembly.

This is what I learned:

  • lunch has to be on the table at the ridiculously early time of noon if she is going to get to nursery on time
  • it takes just as long for her to cycle to nursery as to walk and then I have to wheel the bike home as there is nowhere you can leave the bike at school (and wheel it back to school for her to ride home)
  • Sports Days are now 'non-competitive' so all that training husband did with her was in vain
  • homemade Pirate costumes (Working Mum designed funky foam hat and sword, cut off jeans and a stripey t-shirt) aren't as good as Johnny Depp costumes purchased from internet complete with eyebrow pencil stubble and stick on tattoos
  • homemade cup cakes aren't as popular with four year olds as Mr Kipling's
  • nursery teachers like to get their own back on parents by making them sing songs with actions at the Leavers' Assembly
Thank goodness it is now the Summer Holidays!

14 comments:

Melipop said...

I've just found your blog and I love it, thank you. I have tagged you....

gigi said...

This was a cute post. Enjoy your real Holiday!

A Confused Take That Fan said...

ha ha. Sounds very familiar. My daughter has just finished a year of afternoon nursery. Due to lunch, I don't think we have made it on time once!! And as for uncompetitive sports day. Bit lame isn't it?

scrappysue said...

i have no idea who my kipling is, but any kind of cupcakes sound good to me! and yes, the indignity of action songs is the staple of the SAHM - enjoy!!!

Suzysoo said...

That last one always gets me. That's why I usually hide at the back, So I can go red for myself in peace!

Claire Sutton said...

How do you have a "non-competitive" sports day when sports, by their very nature, are competitive?

Eldest son had a cross country race last week where the whole school was involved and running. Each year had a race for boys and girls and then points were awarded for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th places to go towards their house points.

The kids really enjoyed it and everyone ran (unless they had a gammy leg or something)and the competitive nature was good to see. It wasn't hightly charged but to see everyone cheering for their house was a great sight to see.

Robyn said...

What sport is noncompetitive? If they only knew how much thought and love goes into the homemade costume.

Killlashandra said...

I don't know what's up people, and some kids too, turning their noses up at home baked goods. I have that problem with schools and groups too. Do people really relish store bought items that much more?

Same thought goes along for the pirate costume too. Sounds very cute and unique and then there's the internet. LOL

cheshire wife said...

Sounds like a busy week. When do you have the time to go to work?

Working mum said...

Non-competitive Sports Day consists of groups of children moving around different stations and taking it in turns to shoot at a goal, go over obstacle course, throw a bean bag in a hoop, etc. I call that "Playing"!

Cheshire Wife, I'm a teacher, I'm on my Summer Holiday! (Will pop into school at some point, but not yet)

cheshire wife said...

I know you are a teacher. You haven't quite understood my comment.

Working mum said...

Yes, Cheshire Wife, you're right, I didn't understand, but reading your comment again with a different inflection, now I do. You are wondering how I fit a job in with everything else, yes? I wonder myself sometimes! This is the story of having it all .........

(Very) Lost in France said...

Brings back memories. Love your blog. VLiF

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Oh yes, I remember those "non-competitive" Sports Days - what a nonsense. The children are more than ready to be competitive - and they always know who's 1st, 2nd and 3rd! M :-)