Monday, 21 July 2008

Nappy Envy

I knew that moving out of nappies would bring a whole new set of problems. At least when wearing a nappy a child can 'go' whenever and wherever they feel like it and you just have to remember to change them every now and then. I've now had two years of dreading the words,

"I need the toilet, mummy"

I've tried the "go before we go out, just in case" strategy, but I swear she holds it in on purpose!

Last week daughter need the toilet in the following places:

  1. When trapped with her cousins on a bench behind a massive wooden table in La Tasca........ ............four times!
  2. In every sofa shop we've been to (by the fifth shop I just asked where the toilets were as we walked in)
  3. In the library just as the taster session of French for children was beginning
  4. In B&Q
  5. In Tesco, just after I'd loaded all my shopping on to the conveyor belt! Yes, I returned to over zealous check out girl who had scanned all my shopping and was waiting for me to pack it and pay.
but best of all ............

6. She needed the toilet in here.....

(photo by Working Mum!)

...........half way round Lyme Hall (you may know it as Pemberley in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice) .

Now, National Trust don't put toilets in ancient mansions. Toilets are located in out buildings that used to be the stables, the dairy or the apple store. They do, however, operate a one way system through said mansion that would be the envy of IKEA. There's one way in and one way out. Daughter and I had to negotiate twenty odd rooms, travel across the courtyard, down the cloistered corridor, past the chapel, toward the restaurant to find .................

.......... a queue for the ladies!

When I asked her why she didn't go before we entered the house as I suggested, she said,

"When you need to go you need to go. Life's like that"

My daughter the philosopher!


10 comments:

Tara@From Dawn Till Rusk said...

I absolutely know where you're coming from! I've been through all that with my daughter. My biggest dread is half way down the motorway when she announces "I need a wee". It's on the verge and on show for all to see. I've only had to do that once, but trust me it was a hellish experience.
http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/fromdawntillrusk/2008/06/weeing.html

And I love her comment about when you need to go - wise words my dear!

Fat, frumpy and fifty... said...

children are just getting too clever for, their boots these days...today me and son Patrick were washing car when toddler and bike with grannie walk past. he was puffing and l asked if he'd like me to spray him with water? he frowned and then laughed (he must ahve been say 3!) and then remarked. 'I can manage, l'm not an old age pensioner like my gran!'! bloody hell...too clever indeed.

l would love to visit pemberley too....great pics..

sara x

gigi said...

She's just to funny, when you gotta go?? Fortunatly they grow out of this stage.

scrappysue said...

i SO remember that! we were taking a tour of our new stadium (almost a kilometre ROUND) and she announced that she needed to go (we were over 3/4s of the way around of course!)

Maggie May said...

My granddaughters do this all the time!
I find myself saying "We are going to the toilet NOW!" Before we go out anywhere.
At a very busy recreation ground, the oldest was desperate & the toilets were some way away. She peed her pants and smaller one took hers off & squatted beside her. Everyone was laughing & I was pretending they were not related to me!
I take tissues & wet wipes EVERYWHERE!

cheshire wife said...

I know you do not really want to do this but try putting her back in nappies for a day or two and see if it solves the problem.

Just think you may have used the same loo as Colin Firth when he was filmimg Pride and Prejudice.

Suburbia said...

Ha! They just always know the right moment don't they?! The supermarket checkout one is just a nightmare.

auntiegwen said...

I remember bribing Eldest beautiful Daughter to use any public toilet we passed, just in case !

Working mum said...

Cheshire Wife - I think you've misunderstood. She's been out of nappies for two years, she doesn't wet herself, she's very good at going to the loo, she just needs to go at inopportune moments!

PS The guides at Lyme will tell you all about Colin Firth if you ask!

Don Mills Diva said...

Hopefully this will pass soon - in the meantime she is being exposed to a lot of different bathrooms...does that count as cultural experience?