Thursday, 10 July 2008

End of an Era

The end of a school year, although full of excitement about the holidays, is also a time for goodbyes.

This year my Head of Department retired after 23 years at the school. I will really miss him. He was very organised (a quality I admire greatly), had infectious enthusiasm for teaching and was always there to support us. When I rang him in summer 2003 to tell him I was pregnant, he was genuinely delighted for us and never once mentioned the difficulty of finding a temporary replacement for me who could teach a shortage subject up to Oxbridge level. I wish him a long and happy retirement.

Yesterday was also daughter's last day with fabulous childminder (FC). I didn't realise how upset I was going to be. I virtually sobbed as I left her house. I was so upset I couldn't write about it until today. I don't use the term flippantly, she really is a fabulous childminder. As a working mum I relied on her heavily and she was always there to help and support me. She has done amazing things with the children in her care and given daughter the best start in life.

End of term also means school reports and parents' evening. Daughter received her first ever school report this week. It was full of praise and positive comments such as:

"she produced an outstanding picture of Lightning McQueen"
(get the feeling we watch too much Disney in our house?)

and my favourite:

"she will spend extended amounts of time trying to achieve the result she really wants"
(wonder who she gets that from then?)

Today we went to her parents' evening where we were told "you've got a bright one there". When I said, "Have we? We don't have anything to compare her with", the teacher showed us a display where daughter had not only done a painting, she had written the sign for the whole display and then showed us a piece of work where daughter had written "I can recognise Tigger" saying "How many four year olds use the word 'recognise'?". I think we came away a bit shell shocked that the girl we call "Dizzy Daydream" is actually quite bright.

Now that the end of term stuff is done, it's time for sanding, stripping, painting, plastering, cleaning, planting, scrubbing ........................... oh, and lots of blogging!


12 comments:

auntiegwen said...

Well, we'll look forward to the lovely summer full of blogging.

I myself have signed up to work in a playscheme over the summer with disabled children, so I really will be able to "practice what I preach" I am so looking forward to it.

Ernest de Cugnac said...

Its great to have children who are bright. What is difficult is to know how to behave towards them. Should you be blase? Or let them know they are pretty smart? Pros and cons both ways. Some clever kids get lazy - I think I was one, and underperformed during much of my schooling.

scrappysue said...

dizzy daydreamer (who's really quite bright) has a twin over here lol

GoneBackSouth said...

Ahh, sounds like you're really proud of her.

Suburbia said...

You've go off the hamster wheel of life a bit early!! We're all still at school for another 2 weeks, will it never end?!

Suburbia said...

Forgot to say, I've added you to my blog role, hope that's ok

gigi said...

What wonderful compliments you paid your Head and CM.

And what a glowing report of your little one. AS parents we need to hear those things from others. I know that you can't help but be proud. Keep smiling as you do all that work that you have planned.

Suzysoo said...

I used to call my eldest girl 'Dizzy Dolly Daydream'! Have a fab holiday, and blog away to your hearts content. I'll be reading xx

Maggie May said...

Its awful having a new head, I find, as they usually make radical changes that don't always seem a good idea!

Daughter is bound to be doing well with a teacher for a mum!

Mean Mom said...

I can remember always looking forward to the end of the school year (I can remember that far back), but, yes, always feeling slightly sad, too. I had reached the end of something which would never be repeated. You will miss your Head of Department. Hope the next one is as good, or better. You never know.

Your daughter has had a good start, in life, which has no doubt given her an advantage, but, if she is also bright, that is even better! She is a lucky girl!

the mother of this lot said...

Shortage subject eh? You keep dropping little hints!

Possibly a science? But then, you are ridiculously good with numbers...

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

What a bright little scrap, and what a bright Mummy too. Sounds as if you will really miss your Head - do hope you get someone good. M xx