Sunday, 15 June 2008

Working Mum's Gingerbread Recipe

One of our "mummy and daughter" favourite activities is baking. There's something magical about seeing gloopy mixture turn into cakes and biscuits. We especially love gingerbread. It's so easy to make and then you have the added fun of decorating! (See my earlier post Nursery Coffee Afternoon)

* * * * * * *

Here's my secret gingerbread recipe:

Soften 3 oz of butter in the microwave then mix with 2 oz caster sugar.

Mix in 2 tablespoons golden syrup and two egg yolks.


Then add 8 oz plain flour, one tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 3 tsp ground ginger (we like it gingery!)

Knead until smooth. Roll to about 1cm thick and cut out your favourite shapes:


Bake at 180 oC for about 12 minutes, leave to cool, then decorate with anything that takes your fancy!

* * * * * * *

We make Xmas trees and stars at Christmas, hearts on Valentine's Day, eggs for Easter and gingerbread men all year round. We dip his feet in melted chocolate in Autumn to give him muddy wellies!!

Daughter is getting quite ambitious now with her decorating. Yesterday she decided to make herself, mummy, daddy and her favourite teddy, Tigger.

Can you tell which is which?


Not sure about my "love handles"!!!

11 comments:

Chuck said...

Yay. That looks like so much fun. I made these the last couple years for Christmas.

Thx so much for visiting me. It means a lot. *huggies*

the mother of this lot said...

At least you're smiling!

gigi said...

I love these they are so cute. We love to bake and I let the girls decorate their own. Then they watch through the oven window as they cook. It's loads of fun. Children can be so creative. They grow up so fast.

MamaGeek said...

What love handles? This sounds lovely - can you hear my printer humming?

scrappysue said...

oh they are CUTE! the cutter is the perfect size. our girls do a LOT of baking around here. not so much on the cleaning up tho...

i am trying to tell them that home baking is the expensive option now - whilst not discouraging them!

miss 18 is a part-time chef at a cafe, so she's VERY good at whipping up batches of cakes and biscuits.

now to get her onto dinner.....

Can Bass 1 said...

My word, working-mum! All this and a real singer, too. Glad to make your aquaintance. (And should the Chorale need a soloist...)

Kareer Woman said...

That's too cute! Looks like so much fun.

Sass E-mum said...

Very talented decorating. My icing is always very blobby.

And your (gingerbread) love handles are very cute.

Lena said...

With my youngest being 14, I have to rely on my niece for baking excuses!

I go nuts at Halloween and make loads of gingerbread skeletons (just pipe in the white bones once the body is ready!) but give me a full-bodied colourful gingerbread man (as in your pictures) any day!

Claire Sutton said...

I've just tried your recipe for Gingerbread and it's much better than the one I had previously so that's now in the bin!

Oh and Joel loves then too - he's just eaten a very small hippo!

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Thank you Working Mum, that's a great gingerbread recipe, and looks simple. I'm going to make them with Grandson on his next visit. M xx
PS Never mind the love-handles, I think you look lovely.