Friday, 20 June 2008

Photostory Friday - An English Summer


Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek



I've been playing with my new camera. Oh, how much I have forgotten about photography since putting away my film SLR and using a compact digital. My dad, who used to be a very keen amateur photographer, taught me on his cast-off 35mm cameras and let me help him in his dark room, starting a lifelong love of photography.

I asked him for some tips on getting to grips with my new camera and he suggested I set myself a theme and try different settings, lightings, lenses, etc. I looked in my fridge for inspiration (as I often do) and it hit me:


What typifies an English summer?

English Strawberries!



And what goes perfectly with English strawberries?


Scottish raspberries!!


They were then chopped and mixed with cream and meringue to make a lovely Eton Mess which disappeared so quickly I didn't have time to photograph it!

So there you have it, photographs and dessert!

Working mum multitasking!

Addendum (see I know Latin!) 21 June:
For anyone who doesn't know, here's how you make Eton Mess

25 comments:

Maggie May said...

I'll have a bowl of raspberries please. They al look delicious!

gigi said...

Both shots are beautiful! More, more show us more! Good job.

david mcmahon said...

G'day from Australia - I can see you learnt a lot from your Dad.

If ever you need any help with photography-related issues, I'd be glad to help.

Seriously ....

Nice to see Maggie May - a very good friend of mine - here too.

Jacki said...

Yummm....makes me hungry.

Head Gaggler said...

Mmm, yummy!!

Chris Osborne said...

Mmmmm, strawberries. Looks like breakfast.

auntiegwen said...

Ooh save some eton mess for me, it's my favourite !

April said...

Wow my mouth is watering for those raspberries!!

carrie & troy keiser said...

Looks yummy!

Killlashandra said...

Sounds like a divine treat to eat! Both your pictures turned out very mouth watering. :)

Although when I was in Scotland last summer I didn't see a single raspberry that's for sure. ;)

Cecily R said...

I am so hungry for strawberries and raspberries right now...darn you!! Did you have to take such beautiful pictures of them? :)

Great PSF entry!! Thanks so much for playing with us again this week!

MamaGeek said...

Well you nailed those shots my friend because I'm hungry. How awesome that your Dad can give you photography tips. And you had a film SLR? WOWZA - you'll be a pro in NO time!

Thanks for playing PSF!!

Sass E-mum said...

Giving yourself a theme does focus the mind.

Looking forward to seeing what magic you work with the camera.

Nicol said...

Great pics! Your dessert must have been delicious!

Mean Mom said...

Great photos! I've never been much good with a camera - mainly because I just point it in the right direction and click, I think. It obviously makes a real difference, when you know what you're doing!

Just had a quick read about the radio 4 thing. Best of luck with that!

hotmamabeads said...

Oh, my mouth is watering! Great shots!

hotmamabeads said...

Would you post that recipe too please? Now I need to make it!

beth said...

Beautiful photos! I know from experience that taking good pictures of food is harder than it looks.

Robyn said...

MMMMM looks so good. Those are awesome close ups!

andrea j said...

Beautiful pictures!! I love both strawberries and raspberries....now I need to run to the store :)

meggie said...

Oh those fruit looked so delicious, it made my mouth water! I can almost taste the raspberries.

Thanks for the comment on my blog. It is funny about the hidden rooms I find, also small flatlets! Last night it was another large house, with a talking parrot, & a beautiful dog!

Tracey said...

Yummy. Definitely love shots of fruit and veggies. Their colors are so perfect...

MetaMommy said...

Ah, dessert...now you're talking! Beautiful specimens, and beautiful summer treat, I'm sure.

Angel said...

Mmmm. Eton mess. How delicious. I love the sumertime fruits and meringue or flan...or anything really!

Very impressed with your singing by the way...am sure I heard your dulcit tones ringing out above the others!!
x

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Another great dessert (and yummy pics). How do you find the time? M xx