Friday, 6 June 2008

From mum to glum!

Our fabulous childminder wanted a day off today. My parents wanted to have their darling (only) granddaughter to stay. So ................... two birds with one stone!

Although husband has been away from home many times with work and 'boys weekends' (don't get me started on the whole 'week in Iceland' saga), I, however, could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have not slept in the same house as daughter.

We did go away for one night for our anniversary two years ago, it was supposed to be a big treat, but I missed reading her bedtime story and I still woke up at 6.30am the next day expecting her to climb in with us. I know this will change, but until then I want to tell as many bedtime stories as I can and have as many morning snuggles as I can.

Daughter however, doesn't feel the same way. She was so excited at the thought of staying at Grandma and Grandad's that she packed her book box, her 'Thomas' rucksack and her 'Glitter Babe' case on Monday. She packed essentials such as a toy camera, two pairs of sunglasses, twelve books, a torch and a crocodile shaped trumpet! I thought she was leaving home. She has counted down the number of sleeps like it was Christmas coming!

So yesterday I took her to my parents. Within minutes she had taken over the house and was riding on Grandad's back. She barely acknowledged my leaving. How could I compete with Grandad's 'crinkly pockets'? (Crinkly pockets are a packet of sweets in my dad's shirt pocket which Izzy thinks is magic!). I drove home in my empty, quiet car to my empty, quiet house.

This morning was sooooooo boring. No morning snuggles, no "let's feed the fish!", no "I want the same as mummy for breakfast". No "tickling teeth" or "last snuggle of Tigger" before we leave the house.

I came home from work on my own to my empty, quiet house again. No CBeebies, no "I don't want that!" then "this is scrummy mummy" as we eat dinner together and talk about our day, no bathtime bubble beards and no bedtime story!

How did I fill my life BC?

How many sleeps 'till she comes back?

13 comments:

Lehners in France said...

Oh I read this and felt sooo guilty. One of my most cherished memories is staying with Aunty Sarah and Uncle George. Riding on the back of "Butch" the Boxer Dog and drinking bitter lemon. I packed my pyjamas (with donkeys on them), and slept between them. I awoke in the morning, Uncle George had gone to work and there was a hole in the pillow where his head had been. We never had feather pillows. I loved my sleep overs with them. Debs x

MamaGeek said...

Oh isn't it funny how it's nice for a break and then you miss them instantly? SO SWEET.

And yes, please play along with Photostory Friday next week - you'd be a welcomed addition (with an SLR or not)!

THE MOM BOMB said...

Funny how you'd give your left leg for a night to yourself, then when they're gone, it doesn't seem quite right.

I think you absolutely owe yourself an "Iceland Weekend." Although I'd prefer a Paris Weekend.

Suburbia said...

Aww! Isn't it strange that they drive us mad and we can't wait for some peace and then when they're away things are just not quite right!!Try and make the most of it though, she'll be back before you know it!!

I'm abandoning mine for one night next weekend and am already feeling guilty and sad all at the same time!

I found you at Maggies by the way :)

Swearing Mother said...

I love the "how many sleeps" bit. That is SO cute.

gigi said...

That was so sweet and such precious thoughts. If only all mommies were the way you are how blessed the world would be! It doesn't take them long before they miss their mommies love. Try to enjoy your quite times.

Mean Mom said...

My husband and I both look back and feel that the years when our lads were young were just great. It will be so good, when your daughter comes home! My student son had just come home for the weekend for my birthday!

Yes, it's my birthday (7th June) and I'm having a 1950s virtual birthday party. Please call by if you have the time!

scrappysue said...

ENJOY IT ENJOY IT ENJOY IT!!! or u will kick yourself that you didn't enjoy it lol.

when IS she coming back???

oh, and we did absolutely nothing BC!!!

Frog in the Field said...

It's horrible isn't it?
My youngest went to playgroup all day for the first time this week.
I got stacks of work done, no moaning, asking for things and someone sat on my lap while writing quotes and trying to sound professional on the phone.
I hated it.
She had a fantastic day!

Frog in the Field said...

I hope she took her Cupcake bag??

Working mum said...

Frog in the Field - the cupcake bag was inside the Thomas bag of course!

Mom Bomb - it was husband that went to Iceland (organised without my knowledge) I'm trying for a weekend in Venice with a friend, much more my thing!

Mean Mom - I'm on my way

Mamageek - will do my best to do Photostory Friday next week

Scrappy Sue - it's true isn't it, all that time and we did nothing!

Cecily R said...

Sometimes having them go away is the best way to appreciate the little stinkers...I rarely go a night without my kids asleep in the next room, but when I do, it always feels like something is missing.

I'm excited for you to participate in PSF!! You are a most welcome addition!

Nunhead Mum of One said...

I felt the same this weekend. I missed Mac's constant questions, his "you are silly but I love you" comments and the need to know where Green Frog is at ALL times.

He wasn't at all concerned when we got home either, more interested in telling us all about his lovely weekend with his cousins "playing swimming and cricket and then going on safari" (to Crystal Palace Park). Even the dogs gave us the cold shoulder!