Monday, 30 June 2008

All sung out!

It's been a busy weekend singing-wise. Managed to squeeze into my choir dress though:

Meez 3D avatar avatars games


Although how I managed to sing in it, I don't know. The trouble is, I was measured for my dress 'BC' and now I need the two sizes bigger 'AC' dress!

Here's what I got up to:

Saturday, Concert - Monton Festival
Rehearsal 4. 30 pm - 6. 00 pm
Concert 7. 30 pm - 9. 30 pm

Opening performance in the Monton Festival. Concert went well, but the Chorale outnumbered the audience - hate it when that happens! Solo spot was a 'cello solo by a member of the Chorale. It was his own composition. It represented an argument between a woman and a man. He said that we had to figure out if the argument was resolved by the end of the piece.

At the end another Chorale member said to me "Did they make up, then?"

I replied, "I think the bloke stormed out"

Another member said, "Was that the piece? I thought he was warming up"

I don't think we took it seriously enough.


Sunday, Church Service
Rehearsal 9. 00 am - 10.00 am
Church Service 10.30 am - 12.00 noon

I think I was sold a dummy on this one. A member of the Chorale was ordained as a Church of England priest on Saturday. She was having a special service at her church on Sunday and asked members of the Chorale to go along and help out the church choir.

"Just three pieces" she said.

"Okay", I said, "I can give up an hour on Sunday to sing a couple of anthems for you".

A five part mass, three anthems and six hymns is not "just three pieces"!
I never knew that members of the clergy could lie!

Monday, Radio Broadcast
Rehearsal 8.00 am - 9.30 am
Live broadcast on Radio 4 9.45 am - 10.00 am

Why is it live? Don't the BBC know that singers need to be awake for at least five hours and have three cups of coffee before their voices are warmed up? Was barely awake for the rehearsal, but three cups of Tetley's (tea) later I managed the broadcast. Although as we went live on air I realised I should have gone to the loo first! If you listened (or listen again on the BBC iplayer) I was one of the sopranos doing the glorious top A flat in "O Thou, the Central Orb". Great fun!

Phew!

All starts again tomorrow night with rehearsals for our next concert on 15 July.

And this is what keeps me sane!?

PS By request - To listen to the broadcast press play on the little player thingy below (thanks to my whizzy IT friend, C)


10 comments:

Sass E-mum said...

I listened via the BBC website - I wanted to turn the volume up really loud, but the laptop wouldn't oblige.

You sounded great. Angelic and uplifting. Thanks for letting us know about it.

jakelliesmom said...

Can you post a link so we can hear you?

Suburbia said...

Sounds exhausting but fun! And you're famous too :)

Robyn said...

That's a lot of singing. It sounded great on the replay.

gigi said...

I'm sure it was wonderful! I'm going to try for the replay!

Red said...

it sounded good but then I pressed the youtube play button as well and it all got a bit messy...great stuff and well done x

Nicol said...

You certainly have been busy but good for you! I wish that I had time for singing. I was in a choir during high school and loved it.

Maggie May said...

I listened to all of it and really enjoyed everything. The singing, prayers and talk. Were you singing soprano or alto?
Very enjoyable & well worth while.

Lazy Daisy said...

I couldn't listen on the radio I was sick and in bed snoozing. But I'll listen to the link later on (have to take small fry to school dinner tester day).

Were you hoarse after all that singing?

Gary said...

It is very early here in the USA (seven in the morning which is early for a holiday) and listening to Amazing Grace is the perfect way to welcome the day. It has really settled me, which is unexpected. How wonderful that you were able to include it in your post!

I'd love to sing with a real choir (chorale). I sing with my church but we are so small - under 10 and I am the only bass - it is difficult to get the 'tingle' that comes from hearing many voices lifted up in song.