Monday, 12 May 2008

My Box of Shame

On Saturday we took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather and had a barbecue:


Meez 3D avatar avatars games


(I know my garden doesn't look like that; I live in hope)

Our kerbside recycling box now contains five empty wine bottles - (three days after it was emptied). Can't think how it happened!


Meez 3D avatar avatars games



I have a theory about these "boxes of shame":

Most of the boxes on our road contain tons of newspapers and a few food jars. However, there are three boxes on our road that contain only the local freebie papers and lots of wine bottles. (Yes, I have looked)

Here's my theory:

  • most of the boxes belong to pensioners who have time to read newspapers and not enough pension money to buy alcohol (we live in the suburb of Manchester that I term 'Pensioner City', where most people here bought their houses new in 1956 - I'm not kidding!)

  • the other three boxes belong to working mums!
Simple!

8 comments:

GoneBackSouth said...

Yes. I put my recycle box out after dark so nobody can peer in when walking past. Sadly they don't take glass away here, so I have to go to the bottle bank. Naturally I leave it until I have dozens and dozens of empty wine bottles, which makes me look like a right big boozer.

dulwichmum said...

Sweet Working Mum,

You are so right about the recycling, my blox is stacked full of Chablis bottles - I swear some nights I could suck the cork from the bottle. I hear their sweet father reading them their story and I head straight for the fridge. Thank you for your kind words on my blog. I love the illustrations on your blog.

Reluctant Housewife said...

Love the BBQ you & the bottle you. too cute.

It never occurred to me (I'm such an innocent) that recycling boxes could tell such a story. You've opened my eyes... now I'm going to have to pay more attention. ;)

WORKING MOM said...

Yes, I believe your observations are correct, so Cheers to you!

Mean Mom said...

LOL! I loved the avatar of you with the bottle. I've always been very careful about what I've put out in our recycling boxes. You've confirmed my worst suspicions!! Do you live in my road?

I have left a reply to your comment on my site, of course, but, once again, many congratulations re the magazine article! I have had a few of my embroidery projects published and have to confess that I do like to see my name in print. It tends to be a long wait, though, because they have to work so far in advance!

Frog in the Field said...

We are lucky to have electric, no collections of recycled stuff here. Actually I have just taken approximately 100 wine bottles to a bottle bank..what can I say? It did take me three night to drinkth thatt! (burp!)

Maggie May said...

You can tell the student & multi dwellings here by the amount of wine bottles in the crate. How DO they afford it!

Kareer Woman said...

Found your website via "Working Mom." Fun post, your site is going to be fun to read, I'll be back!