Thursday, 8 May 2008

Cliques, Geeks and Freaks

It occurred to me whilst standing in the playground waiting to collect daughter, that the well-defined tribes we belonged to in school still exist in the groups of mummies standing waiting in the playground.

Cliques - these were the 'it' girls, interested only in fashion, make-up and hair. They have grown into the 'yummy mummies', obsessed with designer labels and going to the gym. They collect their children in their 4x4's which are more about 'showing off' than navigating the rough terrain of the school car park.

Geeks - the 'goody two shoes' who always handed in their homework on time and were always dressed in impeccable school uniform. They have grown into the 'working mums' juggling careers and families with the efficiency they developed whilst acquiring ten O levels and four A levels. They collect their children (when they can) in their sensible, economical small cars.

Freaks (sorry, but it rhymed) - the social misfits who suffered with bad hair and ill-fitting uniform. They have grown into the 'earth mothers'. Unconcerned with their appearance, they have developed more confidence and a greater purpose in life. They collect their children by bicycle or on foot.

So there you have working mum's guide to playground anthropology.

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Can you guess which one is me?

8 comments:

scrappysue said...

oh dear. i think i'm a freak, but i make my kids walk home - uphill.....

MamaGeek said...

Okay, were you a geek? That's my guess based on that avatar! :) And I loved your theory on that!

Mignon said...

Ok,you must be a Geek,
I think your forgetting one more clique. Because I don't fit in any of those cliques. Maybe Im clique-less.

Reluctant Housewife said...

I'm guessing you're a geek-working mom? I think I'm somewhere between geek and freak... Just like in high school ;).

Cute post.

Sass E-mum said...

I think I must be a geek/freak too. Working, but also cycling/walking the gal about and putting her in reusable nappies.

Mind you, if I get my hair done - in that swishy-swishy way only professional hairdressers can - and i jump in the 4x4, can I pass for a cliquey-princess too?

I suppose I just want to be in everyone's gang.

Maggie May said...

All I know is that I am a freak!
I will guess you must be a geek!

Working mum said...

Yes, I am a 'geek' turned 'working mum'. Interesting to see where you place yourselves though! Don't yummy mummies blog? Oh no, they might break a nail on the keyboard!

Anonymous said...

Oh blimey I'm a freak too, I've just read this and realised I was the only parent at the aforementioned school who brought her children to school on bikes!!! hhmmm... not sure how I feel about this, just a little judged maybe!