Saturday, 12 April 2008

Tallest Girl in Britain

My daughter is tall. From about the age of 6 months she has been beyond the 98% percentile on the height charts. So tall that the Health Visitor wouldn't put her height on the chart in her official 'red book' because it would mean too much resulting paperwork. So, either daughter is the tallest girl (for her age) in Britain, or NHS height charts are grossly out of date.

Either way, I'm not bothered. Husband is tall. I'm tall. Stands to reason.

When she was going through the terrible twos I could see people in B&Q or Tesco thinking 'why is that five year old behaving like that?', but I knew and I have that 'I'm a mum, nothing embarrasses me anymore' thing going on so it didn't bother me.

However, the big problem I have is dressing her. She's nearly four and wearing age 6. She's just tall so what's the problem?

Firstly, there is less choice at this age. When she was smaller I could find loads to choose from in Mothercare, Next, Debenhams, Asda and Tesco (TGFT). But where I had a choice of twelve t-shirts, I now have a choice of two.

Secondly, the clothes available for age 6 are too provocative! They all look like smaller versions of the stuff worn by girl bands. Today I was lucky, I found some lovely t-shirts for daughter that had matching shorts. (You have to buy summer clothes when they are in the shops, not when it's summer). However, the shorts were indecent! Think - Kylie in that video. There is no way I am dressing my four year old (or even 6 year old!) in shorts that show her bum cheeks!

Where can I find decent (in the true sense of the word), good quality, value for money clothes for a little girl?

8 comments:

Sass E-mum said...

How about the sales rail at Gap - I know it's good for under 4's, but I've not been looking at older girl's clothes yet.

The Fixer said...

I made you an award. Come and get it!

Love F
x

The Country Craft Angel said...

Just been reading some of your blogs.

(Found you from casdok's blog-just in case you think I'm a stalker)

You struck a cord. Reminds me of how things used to be for me not so long ago.
Your family sound lovely.

You should join www.PURPLECOO.co.uk

Some very likeminded people on there who you would have fun meeting and would enjoy your blogs.

warm wishes

meggie said...

It is sad to see the hideous 'too old' clothes for children. My granddaughter was large for her age, & we used to have to really search for things that didn't look sleazy. I made some of her dresses then. She is 19 now, & a big girl, but she dresses very conservatively.
I came to visit from TMOTL, as Jackie gave me the Award you designed. I have put a link to you on my post. Thank you!

Working mum said...

Thanks Sass e-mum, I've only gone to Gap for beautifully boxed baby clothes as presents for friends. I will return to scour the sales rails.

Meggie - I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way. My mum does knit beautiful cardis and jumpers for daughter and I'm seriously considering making her a few things on the sewing machine,(I used to make stuff for myself) but the fabric costs more than buying off the peg! Plus, as a WM, I don't get much time for sewing nowadays.

Country Craft Angel - welcome. I will check out that site you mentioned.

Potty Mummy said...

Hi WM, definitely try the sales rails at Gap as Sass e-mum says; I've bought the boys loads of stuff there over the years. Also check out their offers; they often do stuff like 3 for 2's on t-shirts etc which bring prices down to acceptable levels. Also, have you tried John Lewis on-line (if there isn't one locally); their own brand stuff is really pretty reasonable and OK quality. Zara is OK too, but not online yet I don't think.

Good luck - shopping for boys presents it's own, boring problems, but I can't imagine dealing with the pink glitter that seems to be the only thing on offer for little girls!

Mean Mom said...

I shouldn't really be commenting here, because I have never shopped for little girls, so don't know what I am talking about. Not knowing what I am talking about has never stopped me before, however, so I will just say this. Before I put on my last menopausal half a stone, I sometimes used to buy the odd thing for myself in M&S children's department and also BHS. At my age I don't wear anything revealing, or even sexy (sob), I assure you. Haven't checked them out for a while, though, obviously.

Working mum said...

Thank you, everyone, for your advice. Think I'll be hitting The Trafford Centre soon! Daughter will be best dressed three year old in Manchester!