Wednesday, 9 April 2008

A Tale of Three Mothers

Once upon at time 60s dad went to the office, worked very hard and earned the pennies to keep his family. In the evening he came home and rested. 60s mum stayed at home, worked very hard keeping house and raising daughter. In the evening she rested. Daughter became ......

..........80s mum. She was vaguely discontented and wanted a change from keeping house and raising children. A fierce storm blew as 80s mum wrestled the system to acquire an education and get a job. Childcare was non-existent. Both parents worked hard. In the evenings 80s mum did the housework while 80s dad rested. 80s dad balked at losing his energetic wife. 80s mum taught her daughter that she was equal to men and had the right to have it all. Clever 80s mum taught her son that women were equal to men, but also taught him to cook, clean and launder for himself.

Daughter became 00s (read as 'noughties') mum who had it all. She worked tirelessly to achieve her mother's dream, and was ably assisted by 00s dad who could cook, clean and launder. But 00s mum realised something in the process; it doesn't have to be this way. So 00s mum taught her daughter that she could have it all, but also taught her the importance of work-life balance and having a choice.

Daughter goes on to become 20s mum ...................

* * * * * * *

Story inspired by my recent discovery that my (60s) grandmother told my (80s) mum not to bother sending me (00s mum, did you guess?) to university because I was a girl. We lived in different times. Thank goodness my mum ignored her!

6 comments:

Potty Mummy said...

Hi there WM; great post, and very true. Let's hope that these noughties-raised babies finally get the message and achieve the balance the rest are still looking for... Am already trying to teach my boys to cook. Do you think 4 and 2 is to young to learn how to make a bolognese sauce...?

Amanda said...

Isn't it so funny. Is there a pattern emerging? Do we just not know exactly what we want? Or do we get it and then find out that it wasn't what we thought it would be? I don't think that was your point but that's what I thought when I read it.
In the end, I'm glad you got to go to University.

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Hi, I loved this Post. I'm an 80s Mum (well '79 and 81) and my Daughter is a Noughties Mum (grandson is now nearly 4). She went to Uni but opted out half way through!! Interesting how different we all are. Sorry to tell you you've been Tagged. The Rules and Regs are over at my place and I look forward to your answers when you have the time! Margot xx

scrappysue said...

my how times change. just be glad you know you are doing the right thing for YOUR family (and for you!) rock on mamas of the world!

jakelliesmom said...

I struggle with the idea that my grandmother (now 90) simply does not appreciate or understand that women should and deserve to be educated in the same way as men.

I can only imagine what it will be when my girl is of age.

Mom of Three said...

I don't know if it's so much as a pattern as a realization now that we do have choices. I think the key is to make sure I get my girls through college (or art school or whatever), so that, whatever they choose, they will still have that little thing inside of them that knows they can stand on their own feet, economically. I think, also, that the time spent judging each other {SHE stays home and eats bon-bons all day! SHE leaves her kids in a germy day care!)should now be officially over. People's lives are too different to wedge everyone into one camp or another.