Thursday, 10 April 2008

Look after the pennies .......

Thinking it is never to early to learn how to manage your money, we opened a children's bank account for daughter shortly after she was born. Any odd money she was given by aunts, uncles, etc we put in the account. Now she has a money box and husband puts 10p per week in it to encourage her to save.

Last week I asked her if she would like to pay some of the money into her bank account. Ooo yes! This was very exciting. She put some money in her little pink purse, in her silver handbag and we set off to the bank.

She handed over her pennies and her passbook to the cashier who did the necessary. Then I picked up the passbook and said, " Right let's go". I didn't anticpate the next bit:

"Where's my money. She's got my money. I want my money back. What if I want to buy toys? I WANT MY MONEY!"

I don't think I explained the concept of savings accounts properly, did I?

7 comments:

Sass E-mum said...

Not at all embarrassing then? I'm going to remember to make sure Ellie watches Mary Poppins before I make that journey with her.

Was it you guys that caused the run on Northern Rock?? I think we should be told.

Amanda said...

I hate to figure out that they have totally misunderstood something in public. I had a similar situation with Jonathon when he spent his cash to buy one of those fake cash drawers. You know, it looks like a register drawer. I don't want to tell you the terror when he realized that he had spent his dollar to get a bunch of worthless paper.

Mean Mom said...

Perfectly understandable reaction! I don't blame her in the least!

the mother of this lot said...

Hey, at least you made it to the bank. This lot never did. There's another award over here for you.

Casdok said...

I know how she feels!! :)

CC said...

classic! I was thinking just like sass e-mum. Brought back the 4000x I've seen Mary Poppins with my kids!

Kareer Woman said...

Haha! Cute post, how adorable kids can be!