Tuesday, 1 April 2008

Continuing the dilemma

Thank you for your encouraging comments regarding daughter's schooling, but I think I need to clarify my dilemma a little more.

I'm not choosing a private school over a state school (I would love her to go to our local schools), I'm choosing what's easiest for us as a family hopefully without jeapordising daughter's education.

I'm worrying that I'm taking her away from the friends she has already made at nursery who will be continuing in the local school. (Also, if I change my mind later I won't be able to get her back in local school as it is oversubscribed, so it's now or never.)

I'm also signing myself up to staying in the same job for the next 14 years to keep her at my school.

I'm signing myself up to weekends spent driving for hours to Portia's converted farmhouse or Amelia's mansion and spending afternoons sitting in Sainsbury's car park waiting for her playdate to end (yes, my colleagues have done this).

I'll have to answer the 'why can't I have a pony?' or 'why don't we go skiing?' -type questions.

I'm lying awake at night wondering if she'll be bullied for having her mum teaching at her school (not that any member of staff has said this has happened to their children, but as a mum you worry about everything)

I'm wondering how to buy her £200 ($400) uniform before she starts in September. Why do private schools not allow you to buy Tesco uniform?

I'm worrying if she'll fit in, or am I worrying if I'll fit in?

Will she be happy, will I be happy?


Meez 3D avatar avatars games



AAAARGH! (again)

4 comments:

SaraLynn said...

Oh wow....i just read through this post and the previous. Let me say, I do not envy your situation right now. Sounds like you have weighed everything and come to a resolution you are happy with though. If she was going to the local school, there would be other worries. We are moms, that what we do. If I worked at a school, (private or otherwise), I think I would want my kids there too.
Good luck!

Amanda said...

I think it sounds like you are making the best decision for your family. Will she be bullied? She will be picked on for something because all kids are. Will she want all those things? She will want more because that is the nature of being a child. She will want it wherever she is. Those playdates do sound like a nightmare, though. Also, I think the school should provide teacher's kids with the uniforms, just to be nice.

family affairs said...

I think you're really lucky to have the opportunity to have your child at the school where you teach. I have lots of teacher friends and for lots of reasons, it doesn't work out for them (eg my best friend teaches at a girls school and has 3 boys). Yes you will always get the "they've got more than me" comments, but that's life and I don't think it hurts for them to be aware of it -

scrappysue said...

whatever decision you make will be the best one for your family. teaching your own child (or being at the same school) can be tough, but a great opportunity! it's very human to want to fit in - i'm sure you will all have a wonderful experience!