Sunday, 30 March 2008

Yummy vs Slummy

Whilst on my recent holiday I took the opportunity to catch up on my chick-lit and read 'The Rise and Fall of a Yummy Mummy' by Polly Williams.


This is the first book about new motherhood that I have identified with. Not the idyll of falling in love with your baby the minute you see it and turning into laudable earth mother, no, it tells with painful accuracy the feelings of inadequacy, disorientation and loss of identity that I struggled to come to terms with after having a baby.


The mummy of the book tries to become something she isn't in an attempt to get her life back, but gradually becomes a person she is happy to be as she settles into the world of motherhood. Whilst I don't identify with the designer shoes, botox and pilates of the yummy mummies, I understand the need to get your own identity back. I bought new glasses, a new handbag and went for a new haircut: when my friend saw it she said "Is that the ' I'm not just a mum, I'm a person too' haircut?" so obviously it isn't just me! 'Yummy Mummy' is an enjoyable and in some ways remarkable first novel and I applaud Polly for telling our story.

Next I'm reading 'The Secret Life of a Slummy Mummy' by Fiona Neill which sounds much more me!

4 comments:

Sass E-mum said...

I read somewhere about that 'I'm not just a mummy haircut'. It was a good to be warned. Instead, I've not had a cut in ages. Slummy mummy indeed!

SaraLynn said...

The family is going to the library later today and I was trying to figure out what to get, I will try one of these (if they have it)!

the mother of this lot said...

Think I'm definitely more slummy than yummy. Well, most days anyway.

Although I do scrub up well when I put my mind to it.

Reluctant Housewife said...

I totally identify with the identity thing. After my first son was born, I cut my hair off very short - pixie - and dyed it blond. After my second baby, instead of a haircut, I took a class. I struggle with the mom/person thing. I only really get bothered when someone calls me a "soccer mom". I hate that. Not sure why, but I do. I'll have to check out the book. Thanks.