Saturday, 15 March 2008

Magic Moments

Have been diagnosed with viral laryngitis and signed off work for a week (that'll be a new experience for me) so I have had to pull out of concert tonight. Haven't missed a performance through illness since 1995.

Rather than dwell on this negative, thought I would accentuate the positive and list ten magic moments of singing with The Manchester Chorale (I was going to do five, but I couldn't narrow it down):

1. Singing with Jose Carreras in Sheffield Arena (yes, really)

2. Singing with Pavarotti in Manchester's NYNEX Arena (yes, really)

3. Recording 'Songs of Praise' in the Power House of the Science Museum

4. Singing live on BBC GMR in the foyer of The Midland Hotel (the poshest hotel in Manchester where all the celebrities stay) and seeing the bemused looks on various famous peoples' faces

5. Trudging through muddy fields in the dark to do a concert in the ruins of Fountain's Abbey (no-one told us we'd need a torch to find the venue)

6. Singing in the Sunday Mass at Notre Dame, Paris (yes, really)

7. Getting snowed in in Buxton during the filming of Sainsbury's Choir of the Year Competition and preparing to spend the night on the floor of the ballroom in the Palace Hotel (luckily snow ploughs made a way out in the evening)

8. Seeing myself on 'The South Bank Show' having no idea that the concert with Russell Watson had been recorded (I was the soprano over his right shoulder singing 'Barcelona' a la Monserrat Caballe)

9. Performing the world premiere of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - the Opera'. Members of the orchestra walked out in rehearsals refusing to play it and the audience walked out in droves during the performance. It was one night only. It was so bad, it was funny. The only line I remember is 'bucket, bucket, Charlie Bucket, bucket'!

10. Dressing as Elvis to do 'The Shane Richie Experience' (crazy, but true)


Well, that has cheered me up. Especially Fountain's Abbey; it was so funny seeing forty odd choir members in uniform wandering the fields looking for ruins! And then my partner in crime, Jules, and I getting lost on the way home and heading for Newcastle instead of Manchester (we do that a lot)!

6 comments:

the mother of this lot said...

Oh no! Sorry you're not feeling well. You need people to rush about bringing you hot toddies and extra blankets. Shall I nip round?

Working mum said...

Thank you so much for the offer. Haven't you got enough girls to look after? (Your daughters are very lucky to have you as their mum) Rest assured my husband is looking after me; he's just pouring the wine (well the doctor did say lots of fluids!)

Amanda said...

I would offer to nip round but a)I don't know what that means b)I think I am too far to nip anywhere.
I am sorry you cannot make your concert I know how much you were looking forward to it. I don't know of any great American choral groups. Except the MOTAB. (mormon tabernacle choir) And I'm not sure they are to your caliber.

Anyway, you had better take this week and rest. I don't want to have to tell you again what grandma used to say...

Working mum said...

I think I may need to start a translation section like 'one strangely lush mother'. Nip/Pop round: travel a short distance to visit. Isn't t'internet great? Talking to someone over the Atlantic - the world suddenly becomes a smaller place!

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

What an impressive introduction to your Blog - an amazing list of achievements! Hope you'll be feeling better soon, and I'll visit to catch up on your life later. Margot xx

Sass E-mum said...

Great post. Hilarious to think there's been a willy wonka opera. Hope you feel better soon - at least you have a live in nurse.