Monday, 10 March 2008

Childminder on Holiday!

"I need a week off" - the most alarming phrase known to working mums.

"Of course, that's fine" I replied with a cool, calm exterior whilst internally combusting. Of course childminders are entitled to paid holidays, I have no problem with that, it's just that I'm not allowed to take time off work to look after darling daughter while childminder away.

With my parents still working and all my friends fellow working mums I resort to.................................... the mother-in-law (MIL). Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful that she is looking after daughter this week, but these are my reservations:
  1. MIL is in her 70's, blind in one eye, has bad back and has habit of falling over and injuring herself - yet is still driving! (and more worryingly, driving my daughter)

  2. She feeds daughter tinned pasta and chocolate cake every day because "that's what she wanted"!

  3. MIL not equipped for looking after 3 year old like fabulous childminder, so have daily movement of child seat between cars, have to provide all play equipment, show her where CBeebies is on digital TV, etc

To counteract the food issue I have provided MIL with bag of healthy, nutritious snacks for daughter. To counteract boredom I have bought all Easter activity packs from Tesco (TGFT) and have proffered daughter's library card as a suitable outing.

We shall see how the week progresses ...................





3 comments:

Sass E-mum said...

Good luck. I've only left my daughter with her 87 year old grandmother when she's been sleeping (my daughter that is, not her grandmother... though now I come to think about it...)

Amanda said...

Sorry to hear about your childminder. I left my two year old with mil and as I arrived back at the house, he was standing outside waving me into the driveway. I went inside and mil did not even know he was outside. But what are you to do when there is not another option?

Working mum said...

Oh my giddy aunt! That would have given me nightmares!
Thanks for reading and the encouraging comments.